Read and listen to RSS news feeds with the Speak News app for iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
introduction | iPhone gallery | iPad gallery | video | features | bookmarks | News view | share | tap shortcuts | edit bookmark | remote control | settings | keyboard shortcuts | custom URL scheme | feed library | support | update history
Improvements for Twitter pages and special character display:
• Changed the way Twitter feed links work. Tap the feed page title to open that bookmark in the Twitter app. This could be a Twitter user page, a hashtag page or a search page. Tap a tweet to share it via Message, Mail, Twitter, Reminders, Add to Notes, and more in the activities view.
• Improved special character translations.
Improvements and bug fixes.
• Added Enabled switch for bookmarks. Only enabled bookmarks will be updated. Disabled bookmarks will continue to display stories/items from the last update.
• Reminder: Innovative remote control item navigation feature. Double tap the center button to skip to the next item (a news story or page paragraph). Triple tap the center button to skip to the previous item. Tap five times to switch to bookmark selection mode. Listen to the names of bookmarks in sequence and tap after hearing the desired item to select it. Speak News will start speaking the bookmark stories if the "Speak upon opening feed" in Settings is on, or tap the remote center button to start or pause speaking.
• New bookmarks are now properly updated automatically after being created.
• Fixed problems with using the EarPods remote control to select a new bookmark.
Improvements and bug fixes:
• Improved "spoken indicator" behavior that displays when a story or paragraph item has been spoken. To see the spoken indicator, turn on Settings: Speech behavior: Speak items only once.
• Update button is now the first button in the toolbar in both Bookmarks and News views.
• Layout of Speak News App Info view improved for various versions of iOS.
• Minor interface improvements.
• Updated icons for other apps from Imaja: TelepaText, Perspectiva, and CalReader.
• New option in Settings: Speech behavior: Speak items only once. Speak News keeps track of items listened to for a given set of items/stories in a bookmark. To automatically skip over items already listened to, turn this option on. Manually selecting an item will speak the item. If the "Speak items only once" option is on, then the "spoken indicator", a circle, appears at the end of the item title or paragraph. An empty circle means the item has not been spoken yet, and a full circle means the item has been spoken. If the bookmark is a Wikipedia page or HTML page, then each paragraph will have the spoken indicator.
• New command in Settings: View source. To view the RSS or HTML source code for the current bookmark in the News view, tap View source. This can help webmasters debug issues with their RSS feeds. To return to a readable News view, tap the View mode button in the toolbar and choose a new view mode: Headlines, Short, Medium, Full.
• Added indication of voices not downloaded in Voice Library configuration view.
New features and bug fixes for Speak News, text-to-speech, RSS news reader, Wikipedia reader, Tweet reader:
• Added (i) button at the top right of News view to open the Edit Bookmark view.
• Edit Bookmark view now shows the containing section and the feed type of the given bookmark. The section is a button to choose a different section for the bookmark.
• Changing the section of a bookmark in the Edit Bookmark view while the Bookmarks view is displaying a Search listing works now.
• New bookmarks are now properly added to the beginning of the section chosen in the Edit Bookmark view.
This Speak News app update includes three new features: Wikipedia page bookmarks, query bookmarks for cached stories containing a phrase, and a new natural language custom URL format.
Open the Speak News 2.3 release notes in Speak News for speaking > (iPhone or iPad)
- Use “pagetitle wikipedia” in the Title field of a new bookmark to load the Wikipedia page for the given page title. The Wikipedia printable version of the page is what is loaded. For example, “bicycle Wikipedia”. Wikipedia pages are cached on the device for offline reading. To create a Wikipedia bookmark, tap the + (Add Bookmark) in the Bookmarks toolbar, tap Add Manually, then tap the dictation button in the keyboard and speak the desired phrase into the Title field, such as “bicycle Wikipedia”. Tap OK to confirm creation of the new bookmark. Wikipedia page titles are case sensitive in the case of names of people or places (pronouns).
- Use “story contains phrase” in the Title field of a new bookmark to create a query for stories that contain the given phrase. For example, “story contains solar panel”. Use the dictation button on the keyboard to speak the phrase “story contains solar panel” into the Title field.
- Wikipedia pages and regular web pages referenced by Speak News bookmarks are presented as sequences of paragraphs that can be navigated with the earphones remote control. Double-tap the center button to speak the next paragraph, triple-tap to speak the previous paragraph. The next and previous buttons in the bottom toolbar also work.
- The Speak News Custom URL Scheme supports adding booksmarks by specifying natural language queries. For example:
- Bug fixes.
- Fixed story speaking sequence glitch.
- Fixed bug in Choose Section action.
- Fixed text style glitches during background updates.
- Fixed smooth scrolling interruption in foreground News view during background updates.
Improved interface controls and minor bug fix.
- Update Feeds and Add New Bookmarks views are now popovers in the app's current display style on iPad and iPhone. This is easier to use, and nicer on the eyes when using one of the dark mode display styles.
- Reorganized Settings options.
- Corrected Update button for Stop Updates (circle arrow inside square) in Bookmarks view.
Speak News gets some cool improvements and bug fixes!
- New Voice library configuration view: Select which voices will used for speaking stories. Voices are selected in order The Library includes all voices available on the device. To download high-quality voices for various languages, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Speech > Voices on the device.
- Improved controls for View Mode and Display Style in Settings.
- Improved toolbar buttons for iPad and iPhone in both portrait and landscape orientations.
- The set of toolbar buttons is optimized for each model of iPhone based on the screen size and orientation. Rotate the phone to landscape mode to reveal more buttons. On some devices, buttons will appear in the top toolbar when they do not fit in the bottom toolbar.
- Improved organization in Settings view with section headers.
- Added more speech feedback for user actions. To use speech feedback, turn it on in the Settings view (the gear icon button).
- Improved status messages for long view update tasks.
- Added keyboard commands to scroll to top, bottom, up and down in News view.
- Toolbar button color is properly updated after changing Display Style.
- Choose Section popover in the Edit Bookmark view on an iPad now has a Cancel button.
Open “New Features in Speak News 2” in Speak News for speaking > (iPhone or iPad)
- Better multitasking for reading and getting news for offline reading. Update All Feeds (Fast) now operates in the background and lets you read any news feeds in the foreground.
- International language support for text-to-speech: There a new option in Settings: Use voice for story language. A text-to-speech voice appropriate to the language of a story can be automatically selected. To download high-quality voices for various languages, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Speech > Voices on the device.
- New feature: Follow news topics! Query downloaded RSS news feed stories for keywords and create collections of stories from different sources. Queries work with downloaded content, even when offline!
To create a news topic query:
- Tap + in the bottom toolbar of the Bookmarks view.
- Tap Add Manually...
- Use “story contains keyword” in the Title field of the Edit Bookmark view. Replace the word “keyword” with the desired search word. Click OK to confirm changes to the bookmark.
- Use one of the Update Feeds options. As bookmarks are loaded, stories that match queries will be added to those query bookmarks.
- To update query bookmarks based on only on local cached bookmark data, turn off “Auto-update if old” in Settings.
- Speak News will automatically put a magnifying glass icon at the beginning of query bookmarks in the Bookmarks view.
- Stories in a query bookmark are prefixed with the name of the source bookmark.
- Support for reading a Feedly OPML file to import RSS news feed URLs in bulk.
- You need to be logged into your Feedly account.
- Open http://feedly.com/i/opml in your web browser.
- Tap the “DOWNLOAD YOUR FEEDLY OPML” button.
- Copy the link of the page that appears.
- Open the Bookmarks view in Speak News.
- Tap the + button and Add Manually to create a new bookmark in Speak News and use the URL of your OPML file.
- Open the OPML bookmark.
- The OPML file should load automatically, otherwise tap the circle arrow button at the bottom of the News view, and tap Update This Feed and it will load the OPML file.
- A confirmation alert appears.
- New bookmarks will be created for unique XML URLs in the OPML file. Duplicate URLs in the OPML will be skipped.
- The new bookmarks are added to the end of the collection in the Bookmarks view.
- Added support for Twitter and Google URLs as a type of bookmark.
- Shortcuts can be used to create Twitter and Google News bookmarks.
- Tap “+” and Add Manually to create a new bookmark.
- Enter one of the following phrases into the Title field in the Edit Bookmark view, replacing the bracketed [word] with the desired text:
- [twitteruser] tweets
- [hashtag] hashtag
- [searchtext] twitter search
- [searchtext] google news
- The phrase will be automatically converted to a URL for a feed that Speak News will parse into tweets or stories.
- Tweets are optimized for screen reading and text-to-speech by optional replacement of URLs with a link icon. The elimination of user icons and tweet images simplifies the reading experience by removing distractions.
- The format of Twitter URLs:
Tweets for a specific user:
Tweets with a hashtag:
- Opening a tweet item in Speak News using the Open in Safari in the Share view will present the option to open the link into the Twitter app using a twitter://... custom URL. Once this is approved, tweet items will load directly into the Twitter app.
Ease of use improvements:
- Speech control buttons are added to the Bookmark view on iPad and when the iPhone is in landscape orientation for better access.
- Support for getting the RSS feed URL automatically from a web site, if supported by the particular web site. Create a bookmark manually and use the regular URL for a web site, and Speak News will try to automatically get the RSS feed URL.
- Update All Feeds (Fast) action now works in the background, so you can keep reading news while other sources are updated.
- Updated for iOS 10! This updates the visual style of the Speak News Today widget for iOS.
- If a feed has a validation error (indicated with the yellow triangle ! icon), there will be a Validate feed URL link displayed in the Edit Bookmark view. Tap the link to see the feed validation error messages generated by https://validator.w3.org. This feature is useful for news publishers and webmasters who want to improve the coding of their RSS feeds.
- Improvements to special character HTML code translation.
- New option in Settings for Bookmarks view: Use dot bar for item count
- If smooth scrolling is interrupted by manual scrolling, then smooth scrolling will resume after a moment.
- Update Feeds toolbar button (circle arrow) now toggles to Stop Updating Feeds (circle arrow in square) when feeds are being updated. Tap it to stop updating feeds.
- Improved animation for left and right swipe gestures in the News view to move to the next and previous bookmark.
- Improved display updates in Bookmarks view when using Update All Feeds.
- Refined text colors for better readability.
- Fixed update glitches.
- Great news! Speak News is now faster!
- Improved speed in loading and display news feeds.
- Smooth scrolling is now automatically faster when using the speeding reading functions in Update Feeds.
- Improved special character translations.
- Corrected scroll position upon opening a news feed.
We fixed some bugs, because we use this app a lot; we love making Speak News a great text to speech RSS news reader.
- If Speak News was speaking when the user receives a notification from the system or another app, then Speak News resumes the speaking after the user dismisses the notification.
- Parser error messages are now properly cleared.
- If app purchase is not validated with App Store, then bookmarks will not be saved. The App Store will request that user validates the app with their Apple ID and password.
Enhancements and bug fixes.
- Updated Speak News RSS feed library with more news sources.
- Fixed bug in app purchase verification resulting in limit of bookmarks to ten.
- Added icon indicators for bookmarks that have RSS feed parsing errors.
For questions, bug reports, and feature requests for Speak News, please contact Imaja via e-mail. We will try to respond within a day, usually much sooner.
> E-mail Support:
More apps from imaja.com
Copyright © 2016-2017 Imaja. Speak News is a trademark of Imaja. All rights reserved. iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and iOS are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.